This week – the return of the King. Sakib himself shares some information on appropriate care for frostbite injuries
Play it cool with frostbite
– Risk of cold injuries such as frostbite correlated with temperature, windchill, moisture
- Risk is <5% when ambient temp (including wind chill) is >5 F (-15C)
- Most often occur at ambient temp < -4 F (-20C)
– Pathophys = freezing alone not sufficient to cause tissue death, Thawing contributing to endothelial damage is cause of majority of damage (see continue reading below)
– Zone of injury = Zone of Coagulation, Zone of Hyperemia, Zone of Stasis
– Treatment = Rapid re-warming with warm water. Do not debride any tissue initially.
- 65% pt. experience sequeulae from their injuries
- Hypersensitivity to cold, pain, ongoing numbness
- Asthritis, bone deformities, dystrophia
Read below to get more thorough treatment maneuvers and further info on Frostbite Injury!